The Berkshire Conference of Women Historians presents its 17th Conference:
Difficult Conversations: Thinking and Talking about Women,
Genders, and Sexualities Inside and Outside the Academy
at Hofstra University, Hempstead (Long Island) NY
June 1-4, 2017
Click here for the preliminary program
The Program – What you can expect:
- Four days of panels highlighting the state of the field. All temporal and geographical fields are represented.
- Plenary sessions focusing on the election of 2016, work, migration, water rights, and teaching in the neoliberal academy to historicize many issues we currently confront.
- Sessions designed for K-12 teachers to help integrate women’s and gender history into the primary and secondary curriculum.
- Practical sessions devoted to the challenges of the academic job market, balancing scholarship while parenting, and looking beyond the academy for jobs.
- Performances which complement the academic panels and highlight the experiences of veterans, World War II “comfort women,” formerly incarcerated women, and the lives of indigenous peoples from North America to Australia.
- A Book Exhibit with over 25 publishers displaying the latest scholarship.
- Lots of time for chatting, drinking coffee, making new friends and catching up with old ones.
- And our world famous dance!